Beginnings

Technically, I was born in Pennsylvania, but I have lived in Florida as long as I can remember. A few days ago, we accepted an offer to relocate to Denver.

Denver.

The mile high city.

And this moving thing is big. It is not easy so I thought I'd do a short blog series about this.  We've been in a 4 bedroom house (3 bedrooms and a shared office/sewing space) for the last 15 years. We've collected a lot of clutter. We have furniture. So much furniture. And Denver is approximately 1800 miles away.


We decided to rent a Pod because none of us want to drive the biggest moving truck that exists, which we figure is what we need for a family of four moving a whole house. I don't feel as if I'd be safe driving one of those across the country and having my husband and I each driving a separate vehicle for three days straight sounds exhausting -- because our car has to go to Denver too.

Our kids have to go, and our dogs have to go. And these things are easier when there are more adults around.

We could (and have) jettison(ed) some stuff, but there's a point where you shove in as much as possible just to keep from having to re-purchase it in the new city.

And my books have to go with us. I can't lose my books.

Nearly $4000, if you wondered. For a pod to move us 1800 miles. Then there's first and last. Or security deposit. Pet fees. Pet rent in some places. All more expensive than the mortgage rate we locked in 15 years ago.

I haven't looked at pet licensing there yet. We'll have to get a new license on the car, get new driver's licenses for Husband and myself. And Little Girl just got her learner's permit, so that's something else to figure out. Mortgage and rent until our house sells.

This moving business is not for the faint at heart. Not after you own stuff, at least. If we were still poor college students (like when we moved every year - but only around the same city) we'd pack up the car, give away everything that didn't fit, and drive to the other end. Multiple trips for things like mattresses and sofas are not out of the question when you move across town. It's not so easy if the drive takes 3 days.

We're at this interesting middle place where we have savings, but not enough this doesn't hurt. Not enough this isn't scary as hell. We won't have savings when we're done. Not until the house sells, which will hopefully get tucked away to be a down-payment later.. Hopefully.

I'm anal about getting stuff done, but not anal about packing like a friend and her what's in which box spreadsheet. The boxes will be packed here and they will be unpacked there. I don't have it in me to only unpack as we need a thing anyway. They will all be unpacked. They will all be packed again when we buy a house after we know the neighborhoods.

How long does it take to know a city? How long does it take to start again? Can you rent a house through the internet?

Should you?

We're moving from just above sea level to mile high. Humid to dry. Snow is a thing that exists there. Also, I've heard, there are these things called seasons. More temperatures than hot or am-i-actually-being-cooked. We're moving from a city population of approximately 150,000 to a city population of approximately 700,000.

This is our new beginning.

Here we go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exhaustion