Exhaustion

We've driven across the country, spent a several days in a hotel, and signed the quickest year lease on a house that we could manage. We've taken possession of an empty home, signed the kids into schools just in time to get them there the first day, but far too late for them to have any choice of electives.

I regret that for them since they were able to choose such great electives back in Florida. As a lax parent of honor students, I wonder if there is more I should have done, but since we did not know where we were going to live, which district we would be in, until days before school started I don't know what else we could have done. I'm not sure if the fault is mine or the system because the search for information was not easy.

Anyway, time passed and they are now in school. We are still sleeping in camping cots because, while the Pod says 7-10 days for delivery, apparently that means delivery to the new city then there is another 7-10 days before it is delivered to the home. (Anyone hiring a Pod should know that little detail.)

I've been to Goodwill and Arc many times for little things. I brought some silverware, but not sharp knives or a can opener. No seating. The pans I planned to bring with were left in Florida when we decided Husband would spend the remainder of his month's notice time at our old house instead of with friends so I bought pans. Cheap folding chairs. A bookshelf, because I brought the important things, but nothing to store them on.

Starting our grocery supply from the beginning again is also interesting. We didn't pack any foods other than protein bars so there is a lot of shopping to do. This is harder when Husband was the primary cook for the house. I mean, I cook, but I'm the big pot type cook and that's harder when we have the bare minimum of supplies. I mean, I could go buy a roasting pan and giant wok, but they should be coming and they're more specialty items so it seems silly. He's the one who uses a frying pan and a pot and creates twenty minute meals.

I bought an easy chair today because I could not stand sitting on a folding chair for three more days. I think it is the best thing ever. I love it so much. Sitting comfortably is a privilege I'd overlooked, but it's so important. I know my furniture will be here soon, but right now, sitting in it, this chair feels like a better decision than sharp knives or pots and pans.

I still do not drive on the local interstate, try not to go too far from home, still need google maps almost every time I leave the house. The kids started school today, my new semester starts tomorrow. My husband still has two and a half weeks in Florida.

But we live in Colorado now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginnings